Apr 27, 2015

Mara Jade Updates

I managed to finish all of the sewing parts of my Mara Jade costume over the weekend, which is awesome because I have a super busy schedule this week and our May the 4th party is this Saturday. There is one more part I'm 99% sure I'm going to have to sew for this costume but won't be getting to before the party, and that's the gloves.

I'm really excited about this costume because it's really an awesome costume and also Mara is one of my favorite Star Wars characters from the books. When I tried it on it felt very Han Solo-ish (in a good way). It's going to be such a fun costume to wear!

Here's a sneak peek of the costume so far...


I had originally planned on using an invisible zipper but I realize (thankfully before I actually sewed it) that I needed a separating zipper for the vest. I got the zipper in no problem but something that is very special about Star Wars costumes (and this came from George Lucas himself) is that there should be no visible closures, particularly zippers, seen on any of the costumes.

As you can see, the zipper is in plain sight here. I have something I want to try to hide the zipper, but I'm not entirely sure it will work... But I'll find something.

I've started working on the belt, and so far I've dyed my belt blank and started working on the buckle pieces which I've made from polymer clay. I've been trying to film or take pictures for tutorials for most of this costume, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Fine work! How will you ever hide that zipper. ..? Drum roll...

    ReplyDelete