Mar 27, 2015

Cinderella

A week or two ago (I seriously can't remember) I saw Cinderella, and it was fantastic! This post is sort of a review of the movie, but mostly focusing on the costumes.

The movie was put together really well, the actors all did amazing, the script was written well, and those costumes! I made a post a while back when they first released pictures of some of the costumes, and guys they're even more amazing on the big screen. Sandy Powell is seriously an amazing designer.

You could definitely see the early Victorian influences in the costumes throughout the movie, and I think that's part of why I like them so much. It helps it feel more grounded and real, like this land could actually exist.

I really love Ella's day dress, it's just so simple yet so pretty! The only thing about it is that it's too nice of a dress to be working in. But the way the movie played out made it alright.



I don't know if it was just coincidence or what, but there were a lot of similarity's with R+H's Cinderella with the fairy god mother. Actually, they had elements that were similar to 4 difference versions of Cinderella (counting the original Disney film). Which is not a bad thing, especially since they took some parts from the original fairy tale.


I have to say though, that I was a little disappointed with the transformation scene. After seeing the live dress transformation in R+H's Cinderella this just wasn't as exciting, although it was still beautiful, just not the same as live theatre.


To tell the truth, I wasn't so sure how much I would love Ella's ballgown. In some of the promo's it looked like it had a serious case of the "lampshade hoop", but I was pleasantly surprised that I fell completely in love with it. The dress is especially gorgeous in the ballroom scene while she's dancing with Kit.



On a side note, I know there has been a lot of talk about Lilly Jame's waist. Guys, just calm down. I've read a bit about this and yes she did wear a corset, but she didn't have it cinched in an unhealthy amount like a lot of people seem to think.

Lilly is very small to begin with, and while she is wearing a corset, that's not the only reason her waist looks so small. It's also because they added a lot of poof to her shoulders and to the skirt giving the allusion of a tiny waist. This trick has been around for centuries, so just chill people.



On to the Ella's step mother and sisters. Not just Ella's dresses were gorgeous, but Madame's outfits were all very chic with a 50's flare to them. And the step sisters had a definite 1830's flare which was perfect for their characters.



And let's not forget about the Prince, Kit. His uniform's (or whatever you want to call them) were very nice. The style of them was very down to earth, and yet the colors and embellishments gave it that fairy tale look while still being believable.


Oh, and the wedding dress at the end... I have no words. It's very simple compared to Ella's ball gown but is so gorgeous! I do have to say though that I think it looks better in the pictures than it did in the film, but that's probably just me...



Have you seen Cinderella yet? What did you think of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment